Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My life in non-pictures

Like most moms, I am the primary photographer for our family, which means there are rarely candid pictures of me. Here is a glimpse into my life using non-picture images:

Click: I am sitting in one of our armchairs with my feet propped on the ottoman; Zack is laying on the boppy, nursing; Reesey is laying on my legs; Sesame Street stickers are up and down my arms and on my pants; pieces for two puzzles are scattered on my lap and the chair; I'm reading a book to Breeley as she stands next to me in the chair, "fixing" my hair with a comb and safety pins*

*I had a baggie with a bunch of safety pins and for some reason Breeley thought they went in hair so she was running them through my hair like hair clips--closed, thank goodness! Now that those are put away, she runs regular hair clips and ties through my hair.

Click: Breeley and I sit together at her little table coloring pictures we got at the library's storytime; a brown crayon--from a box opened only minutes earlier--lay broken on the table; we wear bibs that Breeley decided we each needed; listening to tunes from a "Baby's Birthday" CD for the 5th time
4/21

Click: I'm getting Breeley out of the car; Zack is in his carrier next to me on the sidewalk; I throw a few Cheerios from Breeley's carseat onto the ground, then turn to get her daycare bag; when I turn back around, Breeley is chewing the Cheerio(s) she just picked up from the parking lot. Yum!
5/7

Click: We're at the mall food court, celebrating good behavior from two hours at Sears Portrait Studio; after deciding to share a meal and get regular fries instead of cheese fries for cost and health concerns, I'm balancing our tray, pushing Zack's stroller, and ushering Breeley in front of me, when suddenly she stops; I stop suddenly as well to avoid hitting her, and the fries fall--in slow motion--off the side of the tray
Click: I'm spending $2.17 for new fries
5/11

Click: Earlier, while waiting in line at the food court, I pick up Breeley so she can watch as they make our sandwich. She sticks her hand down my shirt and says, "Mommy boobies." The other people in line stare straight ahead and pretend not to hear. 
5/11

Click: I'm rushing out the door (as always) to take Reesey to the vet, diaper bag and purse on one arm, Zack in his carseat on the other, holding Reesey on her leash with one hand, and carrying a plastic bag with breakfast in the other; Breeley trips over Reesey's leash and flies head-first down the brick steps; I lunge to catch her but am too slow (can't imagine why?!) but catastrophe is averted when she catches herself with her hands (thank goodness!). The only thing that would have made this picture more "perfect" would be if I was carrying Reesey's stool sample, which I forgot on the back porch.
5/13

Click: Brian is home from work early and is sitting at the table eating a sandwich; I'm in the kitchen unloading the dishwasher when suddenly he starts laughing; I look confused and he tells me there's a sticker stuck to my butt.
5/14

Click: We're out of everything so I succumb to cereal for breakfast; I'm pouring milk into an empty bowl before the cereal.
Click: I'm laughing at myself as I'm putting the cereal box in the refrigerator!
Click: I realize I'm going crazy, but apparently am still not thinking and put the milk back in the refrigerator without a lid, spilling some milk.
Click: I'm laughing and realizing how crazy having two kids makes me!
5/18

2 comments:

Celeste Ferguson said...

Oh my...I so needed to read this today. I am laughing so hard. Sometimes I think I seriously am the only one who has these experiences!! So #1- YOU ARE NOT ALONE, and #2- Thank you for letting me know I am not alone!! :) The joys of motherhood!! :)

Nicki said...

What a perfect "snapshot" into the life of a mother.