We spent Memorial Day weekend in Virginia. Breeley, Zack, and I enjoyed a great dinner and fun time with my family on Friday afternoon and evening while Brian fished in a tournament at Claytor Lake. I didn't take any pictures, but I got a couple from my mom of both kids working on their charm skills.

On Saturday morning, we headed to Galax to Brian's parents' camper on the New River. The weather had called for rain/thunderstorms and mid 70s, but the entire weekend ended up being sunny and much warmer/hot!
The kids enjoyed splashing in the pool, playing with the rocket sprinkler, and getting sprayed by Brian with the water hose.
(photos above courtesy of Sara Smith)
Notice how Breeley's swimsuit exactly matched her hair and skin. Between the two kids, we went through almost an entire tube of SPF 100 sunscreen. The weekend's measure of success was having no sunburn!
Zack enjoyed a lot of time in the shade. He had some congestion and seemed to not like being out of his routine, but he enjoyed watching everyone and we still got some good smiles from him. He really liked playing peek-a-boo with Emma.
We also celebrated Kade's second birthday on Saturday with a yummy ice cream sandwich creation, and his presents were a hit with all the kids. Who wouldn't like a John Deere battery-powered tractor and a mud table!?!
We haven't braved tent camping with kids yet. I'm not sure if it's really camping when we stay in an air-conditioned camper with our own room!
We ate great the entire weekend, mostly thanks to Ma and Pappy, who really know how to camp! Sadly, the fish haven't started biting yet, so we missed out on our traditional river fish fry. At least we got to enjoy the great river view with each meal!
More pretty river shots, courtesy of Sara Smith. She has a fancy camera and a natural talent for photography. The New River is beautiful!

Brian and I were able to go on a 3-hour canoe/kayak trip with Lindsay and Brian while Ma and Pappy watched all 5 grandkids! I missed out on some great shots for fear of getting my camera wet. (I shouldn't mention that Lindsay was the only one who flipped, but it was her husband Brian's fault. They were flirting the whole time and it ended up costing her a pair of Oakley's. Oops.)
That evening we took the kids up to the bridge for a short ride down to the camp spot. Breeley liked her first ride. I snapped these shots before leaving my camera in the car. It was a beautiful sunset ride. We even saw some deer and rowed across the river for a closer look.
I'm pretty proud of that sunset picture! We love spending time on the river and we hope our children will enjoy it as much as we do. Breeley loved spending time with her cousins. Both kids slept almost the entire 3.5 hours home, so that may be evidence of the fun they had! We're excited to spend more time with them outdoors at the river and the other places we love.






















3 comments:
What great pictures! I just told Ashley today (as we were riding the tram across the bridge at the zoo) that I look forward to going canoeing with our kids. Y'all look like you had so much fun!
It looks like you had a blast. We love doing outdoor stuff with Anna and can't wait to take her camping.
Cute, cute, cute! Awesome pictures Susan! We wish we could be there with all of our hearts but since we can't it's so good to see all your pictures online! Thanks for sharing! XoXo, Brian & Tina
Post a Comment