Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Caterpillar & the Butterfly

Weeks in advance of Halloween, I planned for Zack and Breeley to be a cowboy and an Indian princess. I had most of the items I needed for both costumes and they both had interchangeable parts that would work for either hot or cold temps (since you never know in SC). I wanted to have themed costumes since I know I'll only get away with that for so long.

My plan went out the window when Breeley went nuts over the wings in Wal-Mart's Halloween section. I caved at her joyous shouts of "bubbywhy, bubbywhy"!

So, back at Square One I decided that Breeley could be a butterfly and Zack could be a caterpillar! Breeley's costume went through several versions, mainly because 2-year-olds don't stay clean when candy is involved (or ever), and the ability to do laundry is limited when mommy is taking children to multiple events over just a few days.

On Thursday, in Butterfly Version 1 (Fairy Princess Butterfly, dug out from the costume box), we headed to Trick-or-Treat with the Greeks, an annual event at USC's Greek Village. The fraternities and sororities set up various games and give out lots of treats. Breeley got her face painted for the first time (a heart), pinned the nose on a jack-o-lantern, decorated a cookie, fished for candy, and played other little Halloween festival games.


Brian had taken the day off to hunt and killed a 6-pt early enough in the day that he was able to join us. Then he got to do a little fishing!


On Friday, I took Breeley to daycare so she could participate in the Costume Parade, where the kids go to the various classrooms and the teachers give them candy.


They were able to wear their costumes all day, so we went with the more-washable Butterfly Version 2 with just the leotard and leggings. (I ended up changing her into regular clothes anyway, so she could have just worn the other version.) 


Then I headed into Zack's classroom to take a few pictures of my smiling jack-o-lantern. No official costume for him at daycare, but he sure was cute!



On Saturday, we went to Trail of Treats sponsored by the local sheriff's dept. They had various law enforcement and safety vehicles decorated, and each division had its own booth for games or candy. It was a nice event, but crowded! Apparently they had about 10 times as many people as last year, which accounted for the long lines for food. We couldn't complain though - for $1 or a non-perishable food item, you could get a hot dog, drink, and chips, so we all ate for $1 + 2 cans from our cupboard! (Brian joined us at the last minute--again, home early from hunting--so I'd only packed enough cans for Breeley and me.)



Zack as a caterpillar. Yes, technically this is a "Pea-in-the-Pod" costume, but I was looking for a green sweatsuit and beanie hat, and this seemed like the same thing and allowed me to end my hunt. However, non-imaginative Brian didn't get the theme idea, and kept saying Zack was a pea-in-the-pod.


Thanks to dance class attire, Breeley sported Butterfly Version 3. It was great for the weather (sunny and low 70s), comfortable, and washable! 


Saturday evening we headed to a local church for their Trunk-or-Treat and Fall Festival. Again, it had grown in popularity since last year, so by the time we got through the treat line, they were out of hot dogs. With no other dinner plans, we headed to Wendy's, and I was once again happy that Breeley was a washable butterfly.


Cutest caterpillar I've ever seen!!
 


Sunday evening we went to the church where Breeley and Zack go to daycare. Breeley enjoyed hula hooping and some other games. Then she won some cookies on the [rigged] cake walk. She really hadn't had enough sugar during the weekend, so she picked the ones with the most icing and then just licked it off the top.




We then returned to our neighborhood to go trick-or-treating on our block. Zack loved riding in the wagon and playing with all the strobe lights and glow-in-the-dark accessories. Breeley liked riding but lately has been more interested in pulling.




We ended up missing most of the trick-or-treaters at our house, and I'm not a huge fan of door-to-door trick-or-treating anyway, so we might skip this step next year and just give out candy. Our neighborhood kids would like that considering the main comment I heard when Breeley gave out candy was "Wow, she gave me three Snickers!" (I was okay with that since I didn't think I liked Snickers anyway, but I tried my first one later in the week and now I'm really regretting having anything other than Dum-dums and Smarties in our candy bowl!)

It was a fun Halloween weekend and I'm sure I had the cutest butterfly and caterpillar in town!

No comments: