Sunday, November 8, 2009

Babes in Toyland

Breeley is starting to throw "fits" when she doesn't get her way. I'm not calling them tantrums just yet because I fear they will get much worse.

For now I think most of her "fits" are caused more out of frustration than anger because she is not able to communicate what she wants. She whines and cries when she gets frustrated. It's frustrating for us too because we can't help her.

But this weekend in Toys R Us, she and we knew what she wanted, and the fit was definitely a result of not getting what she wanted! We went to Toys R Us to look at a few things for Christmas, where we made several mistakes.

I've been pretty adamant that Breeley always ride in the buggy when I shop with her. I do the majority of our shopping on my days off while Brian works and I have enough back and sciatic nerve pain without having to chase a toddler while pushing a shopping cart through the store! It is often difficult to keep her occupied in the buggy, but I have not wanted her to know there are other options. However, upon entering toyland, she and we quickly realized that there was way too much temptation outside the buggy, so we did let her walk around a little. (I don't want to completely blame it on Brian, but I will just remind you that she is a bit of a Daddy's Girl.)

When we came upon a push toy we knew she'd like, Daddy decided it was a good idea to take it out of its box and let her play with it. Oh yeah, she loved it alright! We laughed as she squealed with delight as she ran after it. However, this could only go on for so long, so we rationally explained to our 18-month-old that we needed to leave it at the store but maybe Santa would bring it (or hopefully a second-hand one!) for Christmas. Yeah, that went over well!! And thus began our first "fit" in a store!

For the most part, Breeley's fits don't last long because her uncaring and neglectful parents COMPLETELY ignore them. She gets zero response or attention and that seems to be working right now, but we know it will be a test of patience as they get worse.

So what glorious toy caused the toddler tizzy... my dad may be proud to know... a LAWNMOWER!!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I can totally relate! And they are the worst when they are in a store. I hate thinking the other parents are watching me like "her kid is out of control." We ignore too. Here's to getting through the "fit" stage.

Anna M said...

Uncaring and neglectful...me, too. I think ignoring is the best way to deal with these fits. He'll be happy to know Breeley was so excited about a lawnmower! Try the place on 378--they have John Deere stuff there that is fun!